Thursday, 1 July 2010

to sum up

I keep saying to myself I will blog, and I just can't seem to find the time to do it! Here is a "quick summary" of what has happened since Saturday:

Saturday: went to creche party, unfortunately did not meet parents of family where there will be an English au pair girl. However, I did enter a raffle and win 6€ voucher for a hallal butchers..and 30 free photo prints, which is exciting. As Louise gave me a hangy-photo thing for my birthday last year, I will finally, almost a year later, have something to put in it! And it will go up on my wall, wherever I will be come September (no news on that by the way).

Sunday: was my day off! I took my cooler box, went to the shop, bought picnicky stuff, and went to sit by the lake on a beach. I was informed that it was a quiet beach, but when I arrived at about 11.30 it was positively buzzing, there was no shade anywhere and it was noisy. But I imagine less so than the other beaches! Anyway, as I was parking up, a policeman/gendarme came to tell me there are a lot of thefts, keep your valuables with you. It's annoying being on your own with all your valuables - I couldn't go for a swim in the lake or anything. Not that I had remembered my swimstuff! I stayed there for about 3 hours and given there wasn't any shade (and the fact that I was on my own), I headed back to the house for a quick dip in the pool. The quick dip wasn't so quick however, as despite having been by the pool before, I had never had to open the gate before! Luckily when I was getting out of the car, I saw one of the guests in the pool, she had since disappeared, but I found her sitting on her patio and asked how to open the gate. She told me she would show me, and then explain how to deactivate the pool alarm (which I already knew, having helped Olivier with the translation of how to do it!). It was actually quite easy to do, I was having a slow day... then I watched (and was suitably disgusted) by the England game. I said to Anne (at 2-0 to Germany), I don't know why I haven't switched off yet...should have!

Monday: I can't seem to remember anything exciting happening on Monday. Aside from the usual!

Tuesday: In the morning, I received a phone call from Isabelle, the French teacher who offered her daughter's services as a French teacher (as she is younger, not qualified = cheaper) asking if i wanted to meet up with Naïs that afternoon for a coffee, in front of the church in Montauroux (which is the village next door, population a bit more than Callian). I knew Naïs was shy, so in a way I was glad Isabelle called (because I had met her!). So I spoke to Olivier, and decided to go by bike. Having left the house, it very quickly became clear that I hadn't ridden a bike for a very long time. And I knew there was a massive hill to go down. As I was cycling along (I also wasn't 100% sure where I was going), I was envisaging a hospital trip, or blood pouring everywhere. Obviously I braked heavily when going down the hill and survived to tell the tale. I met Naïs and we chatted over a (very) cold drink (whilst I recovered from my 3km bike ride) and discussed my written French (very little). Then Isabelle came and joined us and we arranged that I would speak to Becky (Sheila the neighbour's daughter) for Thursday afternoon or Friday. We walked up to the cinema, Naïs and I, so that I wouldn't have to "cycle" back up the "hill" and she showed me the way back (that way was a bit longer, but at least I didn't have to "cycle" back up the "hill"). Of course, I messed up, ended up going down the hill and having to do the big climb anyway!!!

Wednesday: was the day I met the former nanny. Another shy one. Anyway, I had been put "in charge" of the starter and whatever goes with lamb chops. I had ideas in mind, and in the afternoon, after a quick dip in the pool (I think my computer makes my room way too hot, it's hot enough as it is without it, I'm sure) and having been to the shops in the morning, I prepared a tomato and mozarella salad, vegetable kebabs and rice. The next post is going to be photos of said food (amongst several other photos). The salad was put in the fridge, the rice was prepared and the kebabs were, well, kebabed up and ready for the BBQ. The idea of vegetable kebabs was novel for the family and they were a roaring success. Anyway, the former nanny, Marine, turned out to be lovely, very quiet to start with, but I think I'm like that too. And I can probably be intimidating as well (I don't think I was, but if she thought I was, I understand. Completely.). So as they (her mum came too) left, I took her number, miscalled her and said if she wanted to do anything, I'm around! Although I do believe she is going on holiday on July 14th. I don't know how long for, but there you go. Wednesday night was exciting because I was told I could have a lie-in the following morning (this morning)!! Because the guests eat breakfast late, and Amélie wakes up late - I sit around doing nothing waiting for Amélie to wake up/the guests to finish their breakfast. So understandable really.

Thursday, today: I woke up a bit later, having gone to sleep a lot later. And Amélie woke up surprisingly early. So for once, we weren't so late at the creche! Monday next week the creche is closed, so Anne arranged to put her in on Friday so we can go shopping!!! The sales start on Wednesday. Apparently that's a bit later than the majority of France. Probably will then be making my first visit to Cannes. Back to today - I had agreed with Becky and Naïs that we would go to Naïs' for 2ish, and it was difficult to find, so Becky would direct me. So we arrived just after 2 and I had an excellent French lesson! I learnt some new stuff, and we did some translation, which will hopefully come in useful!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it, anyway. I then took Becky out for an icecream to thank her for coming with me - I don't think I would have found it without her, the house doesn't exist on Sat Nav or GoogleMaps!! I also bought a sunscreen for the car, as I burnt my thumb on the wheel and the car hadn't been in the sun for that long (I don't think) and bought some petrol for my trip to Antibes on Sunday (I am going to see The Barber of Seville (for free) at Eilen Roc - yes, that is where Madonna stays - with Laura (a girl I know from uni). My next French lesson is arranged for Monday. I was going to write up my notes this evening before bed, but have decided blogging is much more pressing!

Quick update over!

No comments:

Post a Comment