Saturday, 26 June 2010

Frogs

Not just the people kind. This area is overflowing with frogs. I mean, there was one in the swimming pool the day I arrived, which stayed in there for a few days at least. Or I think it did, the next time we went back to look, it wasn't there. I got quite a fright, because the first time I saw it, I thought it was dead. Then all of a sudden sploosh and it had disappeared. I was contemplating frogs as I walked home last night (it was pretty much all I could hear, croak, croak), in the pitch black after the 10th Cello Festival opening concert.

The concert was in the church in Callian and the festival lasts all weekend, but I just bought a ticket for that concert, don't want to overwhelm myself! They started (of course) late, but with one of my favourite pieces "Adagio for strings" by Barber. As a result of that, I was pretty much mesmerised by the entire lot. Although it dragged on a bit, and before I bought my ticket I was told it would finish about 11, which would get me back to the house (walking) at 11.30 ish. There was a guy who played a 10 minute piece without any music (on the piano) and the atmosphere was great. Not a lot of Frogs there. The French kind. All around me were English speakers, which was a slight disappointment, but I did feel highly cultured, as not many people my age would actively choose to go to a classical music concert. Lots would, but not in France. (I thought I might meet some people, had a pen in my bag, just in case! Alas, no.)

Before the concert, I had a rushed dinner in the restaurant next to the church. We were originally going to go tonight, but given that I was going to the concert, we swapped nights (Anne has meals planned out weeks in advance) and went last night. I quickly ordered, and kind of rushed through my dinner, which was a tuna pizza. It was enormous, but very delicious. And compensated for the yoga class that was attended in the afternoon, and the tomato and mozarella salad for lunch.

So - yoga. As you can see we are working backwards here! Anne had asked on approximately Wednesday if I fancied going to a yoga class on Friday. Having never done yoga before and thinking it an opportunity to meet people, I agreed, so Anne emailed the instructor, who (eventually) said yes. There were six women, doubtfully any under 30. And yoga isn't really about talking anyway. The positions weren't too difficult, but I struggled with the breathing issue. Try kneeling with your toes perpendicular to the ground - that hurts! The instructor was nice and she was pleased that I didn't try something I didn't think I could do (when in fact, I just didn't want to!) - apparently that is very yoga.

And Thursday, of course - the French class! Again, a potential opportunity to meet people, but no. There were 3 people there I didn't know, the teacher, a Danish woman and her granddaughter. Sheila, the neighbour, was there. The Danish woman brought tea, coffee and cakes. I burnt my mouth on the tea. Anyway. I have arranged with the teacher that her daughter will teach me French. She charges less. And she also likes going to the cinema, and has friends in Cannes, so maybe she will be my friend. Of course, she doesn't know this yet. Or at least, she didn't at the time, she probably does now. Anyway, hopefully I will be meeting her this week, which should be nice. I don't know though.

What I do know is that an English au pair girl will be arriving soon in a family in the village. I am going to the creche's festival this afternoon where I will be meeting (I hope) the parents of the family so we can organise being in touch. Puis voilà, c'est tout !

1 comment:

  1. LOLOLOLOLLLLL Adagio for Strings! That's my favourite classical song as well... the William Orbit version anyway coz I'm cultured like that :PPPPPP

    ReplyDelete