After spending an hour or two unloading and tidying the car, trying not to wake the sleeping two-year-old, we were introduced. The poor thing looked absolutely petrified. So I unpacked some more, went downstairs to see if she wanted to play, which she didn't, so I carried on unpacking and tried to slowly get her used to me being there. She eventually did, which is good news. I find myself singing her songs in English, which she likes. Anyway. The family, the hours, etc.
So there is dad, Olivier, who is who I was in touch with to get the job in the first place. He runs Carpe Diem, the chambre d'hôtes which is essentially a guesthouse as an extension of the house. Or a bed and breakfast, to be more precise. And that's his full time job. Mum, Anne, is a part time pharmacist. She works on Mondays, Tuesday afternoons, sometimes Thursdays and sometimes Saturdays. There are 2 kids, a girl called Amélie, who is two and a boy called Gilles who is 5, but he is away until the 10th July, in Brittany with his grandparents. So at the moment, my job is to look after Amélie. She goes to the creche on the days her mum is at work, but apparently that is going to change because of me (as in on Tuesdays she won't go to the creche anymore as both Anne and I are around in the mornings).
Anyway, I start work at 8.30 and work til 11. Things I do involve: clearing up the guests' breakfast (as in putting things in the dishwasher), emptying the dishwasher from the previous night, hanging up washing, folding things, getting Amélie out of bed, dressed and breakfasted, taking her to the creche if necessary, and I know for a fact that on Thursday morning I will be driving the lawn mower...eek! Then I am free til 5.30pm (in the meantime, I have lunch with the family (with/without Amélie)) when I go and get Amélie from the creche (if necessary), bathe her (again, if necc. bath days are Tuesday, Thursday and Sat/Sun) - if not just put her in her PJs and keep her occupied til Anne gets home. Check in for the guest rooms is usually between 5 and 7pm, but it can be whenever they are here after 5. I work six days a week, and my current day off is Sunday, but that can change, as Anne doesn't always work on Thursdays. Any day that Anne doesn't work I can take off, but I'm happy with my Sunday. Food is all included, as is swimming pool. I meant to take my camera down to the garden for my sunbathing session this afternoon, but I forgot.
I think I'm settling in quite well, have been given permission to tutoie which makes me a happy Helen.
Tomorrow's post will have information on a few things I have done, Callian and language lessons.
Check back!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Heehee, this all makes a lot more sense now I'm reading your blog! Wow Helen, you're having such an adventure, thoroughly enjoying reading this! ^^
ReplyDelete