Sunday, 20 June 2010

road trip over

So we finished at Thursday afternoon/evening, I would have posted photos when I got back, but I didn't get back til about 1am. And then I was reading about the deaths caused by the floods in the region I was going to and saw the name of a place I recognised. Commence panic. After little sleep, it was time to get up to go to pick up the translation of my degree. I was just about to leave when I got a phone call saying to wait until later to go and pick it up. I emailed the family to check everything was ok, then cue mad running around Montpellier. I had to return the keys of the place I was staying to their rightful owner, then go and pick up the translation, print off the stuff that Nottingham had sent me (module descriptions), then go and hand in the application before heading to the airport to pick up the car. Of course I had all my stuff on my back, which was heavy and it was warm! And with hindsight, I should have tweaked the order a bit. But anyway, I didn't. And I was very very grateful to sit down on the shuttle back to the airport. Despite the fact I'd told them I would be back for the car at 10, it only cost me 50€ (for 5 days secure parking, that's good!!!). So I'd handed in my application for the Masters in Montpellier and headed off for the final little leg of my roadtrip.

I started driving, and wasn't feeling very well. But anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this section of the trip as it took me through a beautiful national park. I decided that seeing as Arles had been on my list and I wasn't feeling well that I would stop there for a sit-down and maybe an eat. So I parked, ate an omelette, then realised I'd left my card in the car. Oops. Luckily I sorted that out. Then to see the town, I took one of those train things. Not the cleverest idea as not feeling so great + cobbled streets + tourist train = may as well have walked. Anyway, by this time it was about four and I still had a way to go to get to Aix, which is where I planned on staying that night (Friday). I eventually got there just before six and rushed to find the tourist office so I could find somewhere to stay. There was a campsite literally just outside the town, so I went to find somewhere to snack/get a drink/go to the loo and once again left my card in the car. So I went back to get it, wandered around a bit (not much, I was exhausted following the morning's race against time) then went back to the car. At which point I couldn't find my sat nav. So I drove off thinking, I so know where I'm going (roughly). I decided to stop once I was driving round in circles and the sat nav had falled behind the front seat. So I put it on and headed to the campsite. I arrived at about 19h15 having annoyed a few other drivers with my erraticity (is that a word?). The guy at the reception was lovely, told me that if I didn't like where he was sending me, I could find another pitch somewhere else. Which I ended up doing. Up high in a forest didn't quite suit me. Then I went to give him my ID and he told me the restaurant was open and showing the match, the owners were Algerian. I ate, watched the match, went to get something to keep me warm, ate some more then went back to the tent, in the PITCH black and went to sleep. That night was the first night I got bitten. The best place to get bitten is definitely your sock line. Ouchies.

Saturday morning I wanted to have a lie-in. That didn't happen. This was a result of the combination of sunshine and dog. Paid for the previous nights dinner (they didn't take card - the one time I had it!) and the camping and headed off direction St-Maximin-la-St-Baume, which I'd heard was nice, and given that I was expected in the family in the afternoon, the ideal location to stop for lunch. So after establishing there was no underground parking, I parked up in the free car park, a few cars down from the one with the windows smashed in, and wandered into town. I had a look at the abbey from the outside, looked in a few book shops, then went to find somewhere to have some lunch. I had an excellent tomato and mozzarella salad. They didn't take cards either so I ran across the road to the cashpoint, paid, hotfooted it back to the car, to find that it was all OK. Then ignored the Sat Nav most of the way to the family, to avoid flooded areas. The last little bit took about 30 mins, despite the fact it was supposed to take about 10. Climbing up the HUGEST hill ever in the car, rolling back down, u-turns in tiny little streets, I eventually got to "seize the day".

Sad that my road trip is over, but pleased to have a fixed location for the next three months. Will update again later/tomorrow with family stuff. And photos. I promise! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment